Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Tenth Circle


Just a few days after finishing book 5, The Pact, I have finished another re-read by Jodi Picoult. This one, The Tenth Circle, is probably my all-time favorite Picoult book. As an avid reader and collector of graphic novels, the included artwork by character Daniel Stone from his "Wildclaw" series is a total delight, and it mirrors the plot of the novel around it.

Stone is the father of a 14 year old girl, Trixie, who comes home one night saying she was raped. Stone's wife, Laura, is in the arms of another man. What unfolds between the family is one of loss, betrayel, pain and redemption. Their sins mirror Dante's Inferno, of which Laura is a scholar and professor of. The story reads as a classics lesson, as well as a true morality tale about the lengths you're willing to go to for yourself, for your family, and to be saved.

As I said before, this is one of my favorite Picoult books, and is probably why I chose to re-read this one second. It is more recent than The Pact, released in 2005. It seems like both have been made into Lifetime movies... I watched about 5 minutes of The Pact and turned it off, angered by how drastically the story changed in a short time. I have not seen the t.v. version of The Tenth Circle, so I'm holding my reservations on it till I see it. It stars Kelly Preston (Laura) and Ron Eldard (Daniel), and just by looks alone I am not happy with casting.

Overall, I give this book a 5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment