Monday, January 5, 2009

A Lion Among Men


The first book finished in 2009 was Gregory Maguire's A Lion Among Men. This book is the third in the Wicked Years, coming after Wicked and Son of a Witch. Where Wicked followed the life of Elphaba (the Wicked Witch of the West), and Son of a Witch followed her "son" Liir, this book follows the story of the Cowardly Lion, also known as Brrr.

I really enjoyed the first book, and found the second lacking. I also found this one hard to read. I suffered through the first 2/3 of the book, only to be rewarded in the last third. I was invested more in the side character of Yackle than I was in the Lion. When everything started to come together at the end of the book, however, I was very interested and had a hard time putting the book down. That was a stark contrast to when I started the book, where I often left it lying around and didn't feel obligated to pick it up.

There were a lot of loose ends at the finish of this book, but there have been at the end of the two predecesors, so I was expecting it. I assume Maguire will write more in this series, and I'll probably end up reading them as well.

Overall, I give this book a 2.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment