Monday, March 9, 2009

Duma Key


I finished this book a few days ago, but I have been wrapped up in work and the next book to post. Sorry!

I haven't read Stephen King in a long time, not since Dream Catcher. I really loved his older books, like Carrie and Salem's Lot, but I just hated the weird alien stories he was writing. I heard good things about Duma Key from a few different people, and my interest was piqued. My mom sent me the book, so after I finished Nocturnes, I picked it up.

The story is about a man named Edgar Freemantle who moves to the island of Duma Key, off the coast of Florida, after a construction site accident that left him missing and arm and severely impaired. There he meets Jerome Wireman, and the woman he cares for, Elizabeth Eastlake. Edgar falls into a painting frenzy, and starts prophecising the future in his art, as well as Elizabeth's past. He soon realizes that there is a dark and evil force behind his artwork that can, and will, reach out and hurt the ones that he loves.

I have a saying about Stephen King novels, "I suffer through the first half of the book to be rewarded in the second half." That wasn't true in Duma Key. I was invested in the characters immediately, but the story was slow. There was a bit of paranormal freakiness here, then 50 or 60 pages of just random story, so I forgot about the freaky stuff that had happened before. It was like that until the last 1/3 of the book, when the paranormal shit hit the fan. It seemed to end too easily, though...

Ultimately, I liked Duma Key, but I give it a 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment