Monday, March 30, 2009

Button, Button

So, I just finished two books in quick succession. I wondered if I should do two separate posts, or one big one. I decided on two separate ones, so forgive me if this seems long and drawn out.

The first book was Button, Button, by Richard Matheson. Button, Button is a collection of short stories, some ranging from the bizarre to the hilarious and the touching, and many with a great twist ending. The first story, which shares the title of the book, is short but has a twist at the end that you don't see coming. It is currently being made into a movie. It seems odd to me, but whatever.

Some stories were just plain weird, and at the end of them I wasn't really left with a feeling of "that was a great story!" but more like "what the hell?" The final story, Tis The Season To Be Jelly, was one in particular that I just didn't care for. Another story about L.A. being some sort of spreading land parasite also just left me wondering why it was included. Others, like There's No Such Thing As Vampires, or Mute, really were great to read and I wish they had been longer.

Overall, I give Button, Button a 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment